Thursday, July 6, 2017

sea level to 7000ft and back - only in the PacNorWest

I had a quiet day to myself and was looking for an adventure, so I hatched a plan that would take me from the comfort of my home to the Cascade Mountains, back down to Puget Sound and in my bed for a good night's sleep. I thought that only in the Pacific Northwest can you -- in one day -- spend time in the high mountains and on the sea. And not only does our region afford this opportunity, but the long long summer days make it possible. In fact, there's only about 4 hours of total darkness right now.

So I packed up Champ and a lunch, a couple of beers and bunch of water, and hit the road! It was an epic day.











I hit North Cascade National Park and hiked up to Blue Lake at 7,000 feet elevation. It was still frozen and I had lots of snow to contend with! Gorgeous blue waters, especially under the ice.

Then I left to drive back down the mountain and headed to the Puget Sound to do some paddling!




I watched young bald eagles try to do some fishing, mostly unsuccessful :)




Paddled in Port Susan Bay, checking out the cool beach shacks and the Great Blue Herons hunting along the shore. Magical Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment