Sunday, August 27, 2017

the eastern flanks of mount rainier

I think what's mind-blowing about living in the PacNorWest is not only the incredible and diverse natural beauty that surrounds us, but how accessible it is. Mount Rainier looms in the distance over Seattle, seemingly in a world all its own - yet, in less than two hours you can be parking your car at a trailhead that leads straight into the belly of this giant. Unreal. 

A friend tipped me off to the Summerland and Panhandle Gap trail, telling me I would love it. So I checked it out - and I think this is one of my new favorites. Old growth forests, cascading waterfalls, meadows bursting with flowers, raw landscapes of rock and ice, and views of the mountain that are unrivaled.  All of it adds up to an epic hike - all in a half-day's commitment.




No comments:

Post a Comment